Sunday, February 24, 2008

Plastic Surgery

“What do you think about plastic surgery?”
One of the judges asked me this question on the Dreamgirl audition. Apparently the controversy of this matter—plastic beauty versus natural beauty, is still a popular topic among people. While the society are recommending the beauty of natural, while the girl being interviewed would normally stick with natural beauty over plastic’s, there are significant growing numbers of people decide to go under the knife everyday. And my answer to this question is: why not?
Here is my little story:
As a little girl, I had been teasing by other kids the whole life in schools. They made fun of my teeth because my teeth were like piano. They made fun of my nose because there was a visible scar on my nose (I got it when the bicycle fell onto me when I was 3). They made fun of my body because my boobs are small compared to those hormone-active girls. They had destroyed my confident. I felt inferior; I felt ugly. Instead of laughing out loud freely, I used hand to cover up my mouth; Instead of walking with my head straight, I looked at the floor; Instead of being comfortable in my own skin, I secretly envy those girls’ perfect body. I was Miss Invisible. I found myself crying in countless nights, hoping one day I could turn to be a swan, and people could just stop making fun of me and respect me. So believe me, when I say I know exactly how it feels when people make fun of your look.
There will be only 2 options to overcome this situation: you either change yourself, or change the culture of this society. I think you know which one is easier.
To educate the people to appreciate the virtue of respect is just as hard as to educate the people not to throw garbage. There will still be people out there littering (teasing) everyday. Otherwise there won’t be the need of street cleaners (plastic surgery).
So it only comes down to changing yourself. Being sick of always secretly wishing people would, someday, change, I decided to take action. I went to get braces, gave myself and my wardrobe a makeover, and thankfully, the scar on my nose has become invisible as I grew older. The boobs? I didn’t go under the knife, but I had to say it took me a very long time to finally come to accept the size of my bras.
The result? My effort has paid off. Today the compliments I get from people are overflow.
A light makeover can get such positive feedback; imagine a “big”—under the knife one. If you are scared of knife, the only way you can do is to love your imperfections, like I do. But if all “larger figure” girls are comfortable in their skins, how-to-slim-down books won’t be the all-time bestseller. Although now I consider myself a confident girl, there are still times I feel insecure. Therefore, I can assure you that learning to love your imperfections is a long and lonely road.
So, don’t rule out plastic surgery. If it can boost up your confidence, make you love yourself more, why not?

1 comment:

Eehui said...

nicely written! yep why not - but make sure the risk/maintenance process are understood before going under the knife!