Friday, February 22, 2008

You Don't Know Me!

What would you do when people misunderstand you, or hold a wrong perspective on you? Would you fight for your image? Or would you simply shrug your shoulders and not give a damn?
It is shocked to understand how people are easily convinced by judging the cover of a book. It is shocked, at the same time, to realize how crucial it is the way you carry yourself.
I mean, I have always understood this “natural law” in this society. However, I have never paid attention at it. “Why would I care about how you think about me? You ain’t nobody.”—That’s how I had always thought. However, recently this incident has made me stumble.
Last month, I saw an ad on NEWMAN. It was about a nationwide model search. “Just another simulated America’s Next Top Model + So You Think You Can Dance local reality show,” I thought. The more I read on it, the more I was intrigued by this ad.
“Well, since my school is starting on April, and I’m free for these 2 months anyways, why not just do it? At least I’m not wasting my time thinking about back home. I am gaining a life-time experience—in an online reality show. This is something I have never done before!” I told myself.
So I went to the audition that day. Here is the abbreviated conversation I had with one of the judges:
Lady Judge: Tell me something about yourself.
Me: Well, I was born in IP. I just came back from Canada, and I am still a student.
Lady Judge: What are you doing?
Me: Nursing.
Lady Judge: You’re studying in Canada?
Me: Actually I studied business in Canada. But I’m kind of sick of business. I want to switch my career, so now I’m taking nursing courses.
Lady Judge: Business, nursing, and now you want to be a model?
(Excuse me, just because my goal is to be a nurse, it doesn’t mean I am not allowed to grab the side opportunities to gain some otherwise-experiences. Duh!)
Me: Well, I’m going to give it a shot!
Lady Judge: You are not tall enough.
Me: I know that my height is a bit too short to become a runway model, but I can be a commercial model!
Lady Judge: We are looking for a versatile model that can do everything.
Me: Well, the revolution is going to start from me. Maybe I can be the first 5’4 model who walks the runway.
Lady Judge: I doubt it.
(There hello there hello, if Obama, an African American, could go and run for presidential election, why can’t a 5'4 girl go and take part in a model-search contest? For me, nothing is impossible. Where there is a will, there is a way. I apply it on every facet of my life.)

The two man judges voted me; I don’t know it is because of my beauty or my confidence. Thus, I successfully got in to the final audition on next week.
Days ago, I unintentionally found a blog on the internet about the show. The blogger is one of the crew of the show. As I scrolled down the screen, my photo popped up before my eyes, and there was a sentence that especially bothered me:
“…I agree with the judges that she seems unsure of her direction…”
They were pigeonholing me as someone whom I am not.
We all have flaws. Everyone has been through the quarter-life crisis. Additionally, career changing is commonplace; I don't understand why the people here see it such a big deal (looks like I still need more time to better attune myself to this "freaking" environment.). What is the problem of a person switching from what she/he is doing when she/he truly found her/his passion? It is never too late to pursuit your dreams! I don't think I was too late to come to terms with life-purposes. Today, I know what I want to do with my life—I want to become a NURSE and work for Sick Kids Hospital.
Perhaps I could have presented myself better during the interview so that they wouldn’t have misjudged me.
As I mentioned, just because I want to be a nurse, it doesn’t mean I am not allowed to take those otherwise-opportunities to gain some otherwise-experiences.
On the other hand, it’s funny to see myself getting trapped by this reality show and comments made by those unknown people. Sometimes, the way you look and the way you talk are just so important. Its influence in your life is just so significant that you can’t ignore it.
After days of struggling, my decision for this incident comes down to this: I don’t give a damn. (yawning)

I know I don't have the qualifications to become a model. Whether I win or lose, my intention to take part at this contest is to experience new things. As long as I am still Jun’s dreamgirl, that’s all it matters.
Do you think I really want to be a model in this freaking country?
Pphhhuuu!!!

I love the way I am~


I even look gorgeous with braces on!!


p/s: And today was the final audition, and I tried to give my best performance.
I didn’t make it to the top 12. But I won the best compliments I have ever got from the judges and acclamations among the girls. :)

No comments: